Minutes Student/Parent/Teacher Sunday School Meeting
Sunday, July 31, 2016
1. Class Ages: We will have four Sunday School groups: 2 yrs – 1st grade, 2nd grade- 6th grade, 7th grade – 12thgrade. Sudanese
2. Teachers: We have two teachers for each group -Marvis Black & Leslyn Weeks for the youngest group; Dawn Charles & William George for the younger youth; Marty Frame & Andrew Tetteh for the older youth; Kathy Moyerwith alternating help from Dawn Marie, BrownieSway, Liz Millington, Marty Frame & Magnia George for the Sudanese.
a. Curriculum: for the youngest group and the Sudanese we will use Bible story/Video/Discussion/Activity format; For the younger youth we will use the same curriculum as last year, Living the Good News; For the older youth we will use, Confirm not Conform which includes sessions on scripture, church history, the Nicene Creed, the Lord’s Prayer, worship, world religions and social justice. This curriculum includes discussion of the Book of Common Prayer, meaning of the sacraments, the Church year and ministry of the baptized. We will let the students help choose the topics they feel most relevant to them and try to schedule these lessons on days when most students will be present. At the first session the students and parents will look ahead at their schedule for the first semester and list the weekends they may have conflicts with Sunday school time. Kathy M to purchase an erasable calendar to assist with planning and each teacher will make up a schedule for their class on the topics and activities so parents/ students can be prepared. At the endof year the students will have the information they need for confirmation but it will be up to the studentif they want to be confirmed when the Bishop is at SMAA, later in the year at the Cathedral or at some time in the future.
3. Communications; We will use the calendar as described above to assist with communication. Teachers will also post information on the SMAA website. Kathy to find out if only she can post or everyone can post information. We will also continue to use Group me app for the teachers and the Message Me app for communication with students and parents. We decided that anytime to message would be OK.
4. First day of Sunday school: We originally planned that Sept 11, the first Sunday after Labor Day, would be our first class, but since that weekend is also the Women’s retreat weekend, we changed the start date to Sept 18.
5. Additional Activities: Each quarter we want to schedule one integrated group activity. We originally planned a song to be presented during the service on Sept 25, but since we are pushing back our start date we will hold on this activity until 2017. We will haveAdvent wreath making – Nov 20
6. Christmas Pageant – Dawn, Anya and Leslyn will coordinate. The older youth volunteered to write the program. They need to determine a date to have the program written by. They will rehearse on Sunday Dec 4, 11 and 18 during the Sunday school hour and in the evenings on Dec 22 and 23 as necessary. Since the students will be using the Sunday school time to rehearse we will wrap Christmas presents for Emmaus house on Saturday, Dec 11 at a time to be determined. We will deliver the gifts to Emmaus House on Sunday Dec 18.
7. Monthly outside activity: We would like to have one outside activity each month. This could be a service project, educational opportunity or fun activity. We want students and/or families to sign up and plan an activity for one of the months. See the attached signup sheet. If money is required for the activity, letMarty know and we will ask the vestry.
8. Diocesan Activities
i. Aug. 6 – Youth Workers Conference – This is available to all the teachers. Let Marty know ASAP if you want to attend
ii. Aug 27 - Youth Service day retreat – Breanna and Allison attended last year. The day is a combination of developing leadership skills for service projects and performing projects. Let Marty know by Aug 15 if you would like to attend. Marty can attend and drive the students
iii. Sept 10 - Acolyte Festival – conflict with Women’s retreat weekend
iv. New Beginnings/ Happenings – Marty to find out more about the dates
9. Fund raiser Breakfast Sunday, Aug 28 – Breanna, Serena and Allison to take the lead on this project. They will plan the menu, advertise, make announcements at church and have Muriel place the information in the Sunday Bulletin and blast. Both the younger and older youth groups will help prepare and serve the breakfast
Outside Activity Sign up
Month Activity Volunteer
1. Sept. 17 Beginning of year party
2. Oct 29 Pumpkin Making Party Fran & Kathy Moyer
4. Dec 18 Nicholas House/Varsity Chip & Marty Frame
7. March 13 Hunger Walk Chip & Marty Frame
10. June 2 & 3 Camping Trip